Here we will see what type of garden you can setup in your terrace to grow vegetables.
A small piece of space is more than enough. The veggies which we get these days are full of chemicals. Fresh home grown vegetables taste delicious, are good for health and safe from chemicals. You don’t need to have a large garden to grow them, you can also grow these on a balcony or terrace.
Whether the vegetables growing in raised beds or in a pot, a certain care is needed. By your experience you’ll find out how, why and what you should do to grow them successfully on a terrace vegetable garden.
– In containers you can plant almost any vegetable.
– Avoid thin and poor quality plastic pots because they heat up quickly and drain poorly,
choose large and deep pots.
Will post potting mix in separate post.
Vegetables for Pots:
Chilies and Peppers
- Raised Beds: (Water Proofing terrace is important)
– Practical as well as stylish way to make a terrace vegetable garden.
– you will be able to grow lot of vegetables in compare to containers.
– Plants will thrive better with less care and maintenance, plus they are cheap.
– The raised bed on the terrace does not differ fundamentally from those you see in a regular garden.
– Shop Online for special raised beds & configure which one is better for you or you can make your own raised bed, which is very easy.
– If you fill the raised bed with soil, consider to prevent voles and pests from entering the bed.
– To make soil, just mix quality garden soil, ripe compost and manure.
- Integrate Vegetable Patch: (For large rooftops)
– You can also integrate a vegetable patch on your terrace and grow vegetable on the surface itself. Vegetable patch is similar to making a normal garden bed.
– The integrated bed should be filled normally with soil like a regular garden bed. An addition of compost in soil is a perfect natural fertilizer for most of the plants.
- Planter boxes:
– Flower boxes and planters can be used to create a vegetable garden. You can hang these on an existing railing or set them just on the floor. How do you use them is entirely up to you.
– Do not use ordinary garden soil in these planter boxes, either use quality potting mix or compost rich soil.
– Fertilizing is also important to improve productivity but it varies according to plants: peppers and tomatoes are heavy feeders, whereas green leafy vegetables do not need much fertilizer.
Plants for Flower Boxes
Cucumbers, tomatoes and beans require a climbing aid, so that the plants do not break.
- Re-purpose Sandboxes:
A sandbox is not just for games. From a small simple wooden sandpit, you can also make a hefty vegetable patch. This looks not only decorative, but provides your plants an optimal space to thrive.
Instead of using gravel for drainage, just fill the quality compost with soil. In the sandbox you can grow all sorts of small vegetables and herbs, mostly low growing that spreads too much.
Asian Greens and lot of other green leafy vegetables
- Vertical Garden:
– Select a wall & make a plan on how you should do this, if you have walls, hang planters on it.
– Grow vegetable shrubs and vines like beans, squashes, gourds and tall tomato varieties near the walls and railings. This way they’ll not only get support but also grow outside and upward and you’ll save a lot of your space.
– Use old shelves, racks to keep pots and buy pot holders, put them around the corners.
– On these you can grow herbs to improve the taste of salads and cuisines you’ll prepare, you can also grow lot of flowers to appease ornamental views.
Tips for the Prolific Terrace Vegetable Garden:
– Fertilize vegetables regularly with good quality organic fertilizer.
– Water plants regularly and deeply.
– Check plants regularly for pests.
– Prune vegetable plants to keep them in good shape and in healthy growth. Look out
for suckers, especially in tomatoes and pinch them off immediately if found one.
– For the vegetables, grow them on the Southern or Western face, so the plants will
haveenough sun and can thrive easily. But too much sun is not good either. If you live in
a warm tropical climate and the sun is too strong, it is advisable to put shade nets.