What is Panchagavya?
Panchagavya, a natural product used in traditional agriculture plays an important role in promoting growth and providing immunity to plant system.
Panchagavya consists of nine products – cow dung, cow urine, milk, curd, ghee, jaggery, banana, tender coconut & water and.
How to prepare Panchagavya?
- Cow Dung – 7 kg
- Cow Ghee – 1 kg
- Cow Urine – 10 liters
- Water – 10 liters
- Cow Milk – 3 liters
- Cow Curd – 2 liters
- Tender coconut water – 3 liters
- Jaggery – 3 kg
- Well ripened poovan banana – 12 nos.
- Take a wide mouth Container and it should be kept open. Every time after adding the products close the container with net or wire mesh to avoid insects getting inside and laying eggs.
- Mix the Cow dung & Cow Ghee thoroughly both in morning and evening hours and keep for 3 days
- After 3 days, Mix Cow Urine & Water and keep it for 15 days with regular mixing both in morning and evening hours.
- After 15 days, Mix Cow Milk, Cow Curd, Tender Coconut, Jaggery, Banana.
- Close the container with net and mix twice a day.
- Panchagavya will be ready after 30 days.
Note: Do not use buffalo products. The products of local breeds of cow is said to have potency than exotic breeds.
How to apply?
Panchagavya is recommended for all the crops.
- Spray System: 1 litre water – 30ml Panchagavya
- Flow system: 3 litres of Panchagavya to every 100 litres of water. By flow or drip irrigation
- Seed/seedling treatment : Soak the seeds or dip the seedlings for 20 minutes before planting
- Seed storage: 3 litres of Panchagavya to every 100 litres of water .Dip the seeds before drying and storing them
When to apply?
|Pre flowering phase||:||Once in 15 days, two sprays depending upon duration of crops|
|Flowering and pod setting stage||:||Once in 10 days, two sprays|
|Fruit/Pod maturation stage||:||Once during pod maturation|
Effects of Panchagavya:
Leaf – Increases Photosynthesis
Improves Photosynthesis thereby the plants produce bigger leaves and enhanced biological efficiency.
Stem – Increases Sturdy Branching
Improves Branching so that trunk generates more sturdy side shoots, which are capable of carrying maximum fruits to maturity.
Roots – Increases Dense Rooting
Roots grow dense and stay fresh for a long time. It also spread and grow deeper which helps in maximum intake of nutrients and water.
Yield – Increases yield from second year & increases shelf life of vegetables, fruits and improves taste
Initially yield will be less when the land is converted to organic farming from inorganic systems of culture. The key feature of Panchagavya is its effectiveness to restore the yield level of all crops. The harvest is advanced by 15 days in all the crops. Increases the shelf life of vegetables, fruits and grains, but also improves the taste. By replacing expensive chemical fertilizers, Panchagavya ensures higher profit and free the organic farmers from loan.
Drought Resistance – Less water intake
A thin oily film is formed on the leaves and stems, thus reducing the evaporation of water. The deep and widespread roots developed by the plants allow withstanding long dry periods. Both the above factors contribute to reduce the irrigation water requirement by 30%.